The Circadian World Clock is a set of field recordings with musical interpretations. Each participant was asked to record at a specific time of day. The time designations are based on the monastic liturgy of the hours: PRIME, TERCE, SEXT, NONE, VESPERS, COMPLINE, VIGIL, MATINS. In January 2019 and on January 25, 2020, participants all over the world submitted 2-3 minute field recordings for this project. The end result was a recording that starts with the 6 A.M. submissions and proceeds throughout the day at intervals of 3 hours, ending at 3 A.M. on the next day. The next step involved creating a live soundtrack; musicians created a musical landscape based on the field recordings.
Circadian World Clock 2020
On what is normally one of the most travelled days of the year, there was a quiet like the calm before an impending storm. Segments shot worldwide on January 25, 2020 at hourly intervals from Tasmania, Australia; China; Thailand; Finland; Cape Verde, Africa; USA; Argentina; and Brazil.
Photo and Field Recording Credits
Recorded January 1-19, 2019
1. 6am East coast of Tasmania - Robyn Hitchcock
2. 6am Luang Prabang, Laos - EMILY HANEY
3. 9am Copenhagen, Denmark - YAEL ACHER
4. 9am Tel Aviv, Israel - YAEL ACHER
5. 9am Siem Reap, Cambodia - EMILY HANEY
6. 9am Seoul, South Korea - EMILY HANEY
7. 10am Seoul, South Korea - EMILY HANEY
8. 11am Hanoi, Vietnam - EMILY HANEY
9. 12pm Mount Angel, USA - DAVID HANEY
10. 3pm Hanoi, Vietnam - EMILY HANEY
11. 3pm Lahti, Finland - JUKKA LANKINEN
12. 6pm Siem Reap, Cambodia - EMILY HANEY
13. 6pm Saint Louis, Senegal - SALIHA HADJ-DJILANI
14. 9pm New York, USA - NORA MCCARTHY
15. 9pm Moscow, Russia - CHRISTINA From Moscow
16. 9pm Sao Paolo, Brazil - JOSE SIEIRO
17. 12am Mendoza, Argentina - JORGE HERNAEZ
18. 12am, Poschiavo, Switzerland - PATRIK LANDOLT
19. 3am, Portland, Oregon, USA - DAVID HANEY
Special thanks to Emily Haney for all her help and field recordings for this project.
CONNECT with David Haney
© BIG ROUND RECORDSS LLC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Big Round Records is dedicated to presenting world-class musicians doing what they do best: smash the walls of genre and create groundbreaking new sounds while keeping one foot firmly rooted in tradition. Overdriven bassoons, orchestra-backed swing groups, blues-inflected Zydeco, outlandish arrangements of Disney songs, and modern-protest tunes is just a small slice of what you'll hear on our releases, which feature some of today's most forward-thinking and respected artists such as John Hall (Orleans), Steve Gadd, Andy Jaffe, Eddie Gomez, Tony Oxley, Charlie Barnett, Richard Stoltzman, Tony Clef, Mika Yoshida, and many more. Out of the box? With Big Round, there is no box.
223 Lafayette Road
North Hampton NH 03862
press (at) parmarecordings.com
603.758.1718 x 161